Thursday, December 08, 2005

Taking Out the Tigers...

The 2005-2006 Temple Owls are one of the more balanced clubs I can remember Chaney coaching. I thought this season was going to be a green light year for Mardy and young Uzi (Tyndale) to send shots racing; instead Chaney has gone with a much more balanced attack.
This held true last night against Princeton where the Owl’s once again saw Antwayne Robinson lead them in point tallied. Mardy, Mark and Dustin all scored in double figures. From an attacking standpoint this work well. Especially when Temple spreads the floor and works the ball atop the perimeter because teams won’t be able to key on just Mardy or just Antwayne or whomever.

With that said the Owls took care of Princeton last night 60-47 @ Jadwin Gym. Once again I have to admit that I didn’t watch the game, it wasn’t televised, I guess the program co-ordinators caught wind of last years battle and decided against it. Can’t say that I blame them.
I will however say I was very impressed with Temple’s game cast which is available on the Owl’s website. I half expected some rickety ms-dos based program and what I got was a nice java app with expandable box score, shot chart and more. This magic link to the Temple battle allowed me to watch the Owl’s take care of the Tiger’s in as easy a fashion as your going to see from Temple.


Of course the Owls did their best to blow the lead. Up 20 at one point in the second they allowed the Tiger’s back into the game. See if you can guess how Princeton fought back into it? That’s right. By exploiting the match up zone and reigning those three balls.
Luckily the Ivy League brats got cold from the floor after that and Temple got its first back to back win of the season.

One thing worth taking from the game is the minutes played by the Temple front line. Other than Dion Dacons the Owl’s got a total of 12 minutes and 2 points from Sergio, Ingram, and big Anthony Ivory (Actually the bucket was from Dacon’s dunk near the end of regulation) Yikes!
Of course Alabama comes to town on Saturday @ 5 p.m. and they are fixing to exploit the middle… Here’s to Wayne Marshall who is reportedly practicing at full speed and will be needed in order to beat the Crimson Tide. I will now end the paragraph right before I begin begging for Wayne’s return… I refuse to demand the presence of a guy who continuously uses one move at the D-1 level… the up and under is effective but not once scouting reports go out. Gotta respect the Temple big men though, it has to be one of the toughest offenses to shine at the true 4 or 5 slot in the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home